Introducing new chicks to the coop

Oh gosh. I'm so sorry that I'm just now seeing this. I've been slammed at work (new job in June). I don't know that you still need the plans; but, I'll see if I can get my husband to draw them up and will post them for others who may want the same information. How are your babies doing?

Congratulations on your new job. I've been looking for one for 4 years now. Please do try and send the plans. My husband, with my help, built an okay one that will house about 20 birds. The only really bad thing is he didn't slant the roof. We want to take it apart and do it over. We just don't know or are unsure how to do a nice roof. Sadly we lost two of the 9 babies. They were both female. One we found dead on July 16th after coming home from shopping. Her body was under the floor of the coop. The other I found dead on July 30th on the floor inside of the coop. We don't know if a snake tried to get them or it was one of the older females that just did not like them. They were the sweetest out of all nine of them. We have three of the chickens, which turned out to be roosters, in the pen with the other birds. They are doing just fine. One female we take in at night, along with the other three younger chicks, who are kept separated from the others. We're going to wait until this female is at least five months old until we leave her out with her brothers. The same with the three younger ones.

I just moved my 4 week old chicks into their own coop yesterday. I had the run door open and they would just perch near the opening but didn't dare go out. The next morning I opened up the run door and they were all out within 2 minutes. They are really enjoying their new space. I combined my pullets with my older hen's again in the larger coop and run. They are pecking when annoyed but are getting it well enough.

Back
Top Bottom