Introducing new chicks

Jan 12, 2021
If I have my broody hen hatch new chickens, will they need to be introduced separately or once they are hatched are they good to stay with her and the rest of the chickens?

If I have my broody hen hatch new chickens, will they need to be introduced separately or once they are hatched are they good to stay with her and the rest of the chickens?
Personally, I let the broody hen hatch and raise the chicks. It’s generally pretty hands off.
However, not everything will always go to plan, so be prepared for that. Sometimes broodies will abandon or attack chicks, crush an egg, or other chickens can attack chicks. Just some things to be aware of. I’ve never had much of a problem though.

If you decide to keep the broody separate/separate the chicks, you can integrate at about 4 weeks, depending. I like the see but not touch method. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

For thousands of years hens have been hatching chicks with the flock and raising them with the flock on small farms. Before chickens were domesticated they did that without any help from humans at all. They never went extinct.

What has changed fairly recently with the backyard chicken craze is that they no longer free range. We sometimes keep them in relatively small coops and small runs. A broody hen doesn't always have a lot of room to work. In my opinion how much room you have has a lot to do with it. But if you don't have enough room for a broody hen to be able to hatch eggs and raise chicks, you may not have enough room for those chicks later.

You are dealing with living animals so anything can happen. The tighter your space the more likely something is to happen. In feet or meters, how much room do you have in your coop(s)? In feet or meters how much room do you have any any runs? How are they tied together? Photos could help. How many chickens do you have?

What does your nest look like, a photo could help. My broody hens hatch in nests 2' to 4' above the coop floor without problems but my nests are roomy. In a small nest you could have issues.

There is no short sweet answer to this that covers everybody. We are all unique so different things work for different ones of us. I really like my broody hens to hatch with the flock and raise chicks with the flock. That doesn't work for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom