introducing new chook

ChookieMum

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
I have three Isa brown hens around 8mths old, a friend gave me a young leghorn she found, I think she is about 14wks old, she still peeps so I think she is very young. I am aware that it is better to introduce new birds at least in pairs, but there was only one. My dilemma is will the Isa's ever accept her, I currently have them separated by wire so they can see each other all the time. any advice on time frame to put them together,should I introduce them one at a time or all at once? any hints, tips, or advice would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Cheers:)

welcome-byc.gif

You have done the PERFECT thing. Now the next step is after two weeks of being able to see each other, let them mingle for a little bit at a time. Since the leghorn is smaller, make an opening in the wire that she can fit through but the others cannot. That way she can escape if needed and they can't follow. Good luck! I love my leghorns!

She is quite big, as big as the Isa's but not as meaty.. and I did put the lowest ranking Isa with her.. The lowest Isa (named Floppy Comb) did try to peck the Leghorn, but the leghorn rose to the occasion and pecked her back, after that Floppy Comb was afraid of Leghorn.. and acted all meek around her.. I had them in the run togeather but separated them because Floppy was distress, and leghorn seemed very relaxed and would give her the occasional peck.. but not in an aggressive manner.. (Ihope this makes sense)

Thank you for you suggestions.. I think I will post a pic of Leghorn.
tongue.png
big_smile.png

sounds like you are doing just right.

I don't usually put younger birds with older until they are at least 16 to 18 weeks old.

I added a photo of the leghorn?.. I dont know how to use this web site but its on here somewhere..
I think
69949_100_1015.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom