introducing new ducks to established group?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
i have a group of 4 scovys and purchased a group of 10 youngsters (between 2 and 6 months old) they newbies have been in quarantine at my friends farm for 3 weeks..now i wish to bring them home

few questions

theyve been quarantined over there since i 'ordered' them...will i still have to quarantine them here?

how should i begin to introduce them to my already established group of four (1 drake 3 ladies all 1 year old)

I did the same exact thing ( almost, lol ) last year. I had 10 new scovies, all 3 weeks old and added them to my flock. the little ones basically took over by sheer numbers. There will of course be pecking from the adults who dont like the pesky new comers, but in my experience adding a larger number of young ducks to a small number of older ducks is a much easier transition than having the numbers switched. Besides the pecking and possible jump attacks i dont think you will have many problems. Its all on how your older ducks react and if the youngsters are friendly or snooty.

I had one older female and one older drake free ranging while my mama duck and her six juveniles were locked up - four boys and two girls.

The juveniles challenged my older free ranging pair every chance they got. Now they all free range together.

Back
Top Bottom