Introducing new ducks with aggressive drakes in flock???

mamaof2wi

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
West Central Wisconsin
We have 3 babies around 7-8 weeks of age and wondering how to get them introduced without the drakes going nuts on them. Anytime they are in the yard together the drakes make a beeline and start trying to breed them aggressively. We have to let them out at different times because I worry the drakes will hurt them. They have been exposed to each other since they were able to be outside and the drakes still lick their lips trying to get at them....makes me want to go with no drakes :rolleyes:

Less drakes might be the best solution. How many do you have? Once drakes start gang breeding it becomes competitive and can drown/kill ducks.

Those drakes should not even have a chance with those ducklings fenced off an area just for the drakes or the ducklings till the ducklings are laying age which is around 4.5-5 months old. If they ever did breed one it can cause internal injuries even death. So always best to keep the ducklings away from drakes. And like @sourland says maybe think about decreasing your drake numbers.

Those drakes should not even have a chance with those ducklings fenced off an area just for the drakes or the ducklings till the ducklings are laying age which is around 4.5-5 months old. If they ever did breed one it can cause internal injuries even death. So always best to keep the ducklings away from drakes. And like @sourland says maybe think about decreasing your drake numbers.
Is there any reason to have drakes in the flock if you do not intend to hatch?

I beg to differ on the drake issue. I love my drakes but I am very diligent in making sure they don't over breed any of their females or they will get time out. I see my drakes playing a role of caretaker of the girls that are theirs and I find it endearing. But there was a time and too many years that I kept all drakes that hatched here which meant having separate areas for them and their females [Muscovy] I now have just 1Muscovy drake and 2 Runner drakes much easier to handle.

Back
Top Bottom