Introducing new flock.

khrystianp81

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
I just moved my 10-12 week old mystic onyx hens outside to their new coop and run. I need to move one hen from my original 6 that consist of 1 hen and 5 roosters (lucky me!!). What is the best way to do this? Should I move over the 1 hen and 1 rooster from the original 6? I'm rehoming the other 4 roosters but they will remain in a bachelor pad away from the hens with their own coop and run.

Rehome the roosters first, then evaluate where the adults and chicks need to be at. Sound like you have 2 coops which will help.

I would leave the rooster in his pad, move the single hen with the chick but do a integration for 3 weeks between them. So there's no blood shed among them

I would make sure the new run has a lot of clutter. Hide outs, pallets, platforms, shelters, mini walls, boxes, ladders, saw horses, just a lot of stuff that birds can get out of sight.

The fact that there are a lot more chicks than older birds, and the chicks will have a bit of territorial rights. Chasing and pecking is a lot of work, and the old ones will get tired of it. With a lot of littles, that will spread the pecking out and they will be quick, catch on quick.

A lot of people run into real problems when they add a couple of chicks to a larger number of established flock, in the flocks coop. The chicks are out numbered, in a strange place, and everyone thinks they need to get a peck in.

Do make sure you have multiple feed bowls scattered out in the run, hidden behind things.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom