Introducing new gander to a gaggle

Philocon

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Porirua New Zealand
I have three crossbred Chinese X Sebastapol geese - a gander and two geese. They look mostly like Chinese geese with the grey and white markings and tight feathering but have orange beaks and with bits of black on them and one of the females has a few longer ruffled feathers on her back a bit like the sebastapol but overall they have the tighter feathers of the Chinese goose.
Yesterday evening I heard an awful amount of noise and honking and sqawking going on and when I went out to have a look, there was a Pilgrim (white) gander trying to join the gaggle. However following the lead of the Chinese X gander who is extremely aggressive and violent towards the newcomer, they won't accept him and attack him and bully him. He keeps on following them around and seems determined to join the gaggle despite their aggression. Where he came from I have no idea. I am in an urban area, my suburb being fairly close to the city centre but there is rural land and semi rural land nearby. He seems to have no intention of leaving. Perhaps he lost his mate on a nearby rural block or a farm and heard my geese or comes from somebody's backyard I just can't guess. Can the existing gaggle be persuaded to accept him and if so how long is it likely to take? Is there anything I can do to help him be accepted or make the other geese behave better if no one claims him and he decides to stay permanently (although it appears he has already made that decision). Or do I just have to wait and see and hope for the best?

I have three crossbred Chinese X Sebastapol geese - a gander and two geese. They look mostly like Chinese geese with the grey and white markings and tight feathering but have orange beaks and with bits of black on them and one of the females has a few longer ruffled feathers on her back a bit like the sebastapol but overall they have the tighter feathers of the Chinese goose.
Yesterday evening I heard an awful amount of noise and honking and sqawking going on and when I went out to have a look, there was a Pilgrim (white) gander trying to join the gaggle. However following the lead of the Chinese X gander who is extremely aggressive and violent towards the newcomer, they won't accept him and attack him and bully him. He keeps on following them around and seems determined to join the gaggle despite their aggression. Where he came from I have no idea. I am in an urban area, my suburb being fairly close to the city centre but there is rural land and semi rural land nearby. He seems to have no intention of leaving. Perhaps he lost his mate on a nearby rural block or a farm and heard my geese or comes from somebody's backyard I just can't guess. Can the existing gaggle be persuaded to accept him and if so how long is it likely to take? Is there anything I can do to help him be accepted or make the other geese behave better if no one claims him and he decides to stay permanently (although it appears he has already made that decision). Or do I just have to wait and see and hope for the best?
Hi. Poor little fellow. I have Pilgrim-type geese, and love them. so beautiful and gentle.
Now, your gander will have a favourite female. Could you separate the second-favourite goose off with the new gander at all? they´ll take a while to get used to it, but they should be ok after a bit. It´ll be pretty much impossible to get the 2 ganders to be ok at this time of year anyway, but once the season has moved along a bit, they may well all be ok together until next breeding season.

Back
Top Bottom