Introducing New Geese to the Flock - Disease Risks?

sweetfieldsfarm

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2020
Hi all,

im still new to the forum here, but I’m seeking advice. I practice safety and good bio security here with my flock of chickens and ducks as much as possible, which includes only hatching my own eggs or hatching shipped hatching eggs. I’ve never taken in live poultry before in trying to prevent the spread of disease within my flock as much as possible, and so far, it’s worked.

Just today though I was offered a bonded pair of geese over Facebook, and as much as I’m tempted to take them in, I’m concerned about any disease they could potentially bring with them. I’ve owned geese before in the past, and think they are a great addition to the farm, but I’m just concerned for my other poultry’s health. Should I be concerned? Is quarantining geese they same as it is with other poultry? I just would hate to put the rest of my flock at risk by taking in this pair from a stranger.

Any advice on risks associated with geese would be greatly appreciated. Also, what do you do when brining new poultry into your own flocks?

Thank you!

What other poultry do you have? Waterfowl in general don't seem to have as many health problems. I personally have always just brought them in here without a quarantine.
Right now I have about 40 chickens, and 20 ducks and we have four medium to large open ponds out on our 5 acre parcel. The chickens and ducks come in to roost in the barn at night and I was thinking these geese easily could as well. I just know she was looking for a home for these geese and needed them gone before a move she’s making and I’d be happy to take them. I feel like I just may have been overthinking it with poultry disease/have always been concerned about Illness in general from reading horror stories on it. I was told the same from a friend though that water fowl generally seem to integrate just fine without any issues.

Thank you for the reassurance! :)

Oldhenlikesdogs is right about geese not always getting along with other types of birds, sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t.

Geese tend to be less prone to disease though it isn’t absolute so if it were me I’d play it safe and set up a little quarantine pen to keep them in for a little while. It can’t hurt.

Oldhenlikesdogs is right about geese not always getting along with other types of birds, sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t.

Geese tend to be less prone to disease though it isn’t absolute so if it were me I’d play it safe and set up a little quarantine pen to keep them in for a little while. It can’t hurt.
Thank you for the advice and I think that’s a great plan! I’ll definitely set them up somewhere else for now just to be on the safe side. I appreciate the responses on this and just was worrying about the flock I have now. I’m hoping for the best :)

Back
Top Bottom