Introducing new hen to the coop

I have 2 silkies a Maran and just tried to introduce an Americuana...my maran just beat the crap out of her, kicking and trying to pluck her feathers out...she is bleeding over her eye a lil. I separated them so she could get used to the coop. Silkies are just darlings, they don't care at all. Just my maran being a mean cuss. How long should pecking order take, and is it normal for a hen to get so mean?

I had to give my ROO up and traded at the end and my 3 gurls went wildly on the new one--I put her in her own cage and after 2 dys of montering poo and her -Put her by the coop and they still want to do THE PECKING ORDER by now when out its NOT quite so bad going to put ALL together when new coop is finished

The couple that sells chickens in front of Rural king-- SHOOT !!! I cant remember thei name it was a very upsetting time for me CRIED 3/4 day

Questions: I have 4 hens (approx 9 months old) and decided to add two new girls (3 months) to the flock.

One of the older girls is nasty and bites the newbies so I moved the newbies into the caged in run, closed the door so the old girls couldn't have access and added some plastic bins on their sides with some straw for night time...I give all 6 of them scratch and treats at the same time in a location so the older girls can see the youngers but are separate.

I let the newbies out to free range and they ran away and hid in the woods - took us a while to find them and get them back in the run.

Questions - I am reluctant to let them free range again without a roo to keep track of them and with their high fear level of me and the other girls..they have zero recall to me - other girls come when they see me and are very friendly and easy to take directions from me - when will I be able to let them all out together - do they need to bond in the coop first?

When can I introduce the newbies into the coop at night? The weather has been mild so far but they are not as safe in the run as they would be in the coop. I read that once its dark is a good time but I am terrified of what will happen in the morning?

THANKS!!!

Back
Top Bottom