1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing new hens and preventing disease

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChesapeakeBorn, Sep 1, 2011.

1. ChesapeakeBorn

ChesapeakeBorn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    What precautions (if any) do you take when you introduce new hens or pullets to your flock? Well, I guess not a flock... I only have 1 chicken lol. She is a docile sweet silkie pullet.

Do you put them on medicated feed or treat them prophylactically with antibiotics? I have Gallimycin, Sulmet, and Wazine on hand. Also, I had a few sick chickens pass away - vet confirmed a gram negative bacterial infection. I have since moved the chicken tractor, thoroughly disinfected everything, and treated my remaining hen. Anything else I should do?

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Read that it was a 30 day confinement.You could treat for 2 weeks and then add. I added my roo after just a week and soon after 2 hens became ill.They recovered.The roo was never ill.

Wishing them all good heath.

If space is an isue you could confine your 1 hen, and put the newbies in the trator/coop. I have a rabbit cage and dog crate for chickens I need to isolate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by