Introducing new hens to 2 chickens

Chicken007

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Hi there it's been a long time!

I've had my current chickens for 3 years now but unfortunately one of my hens died last week. I am now left with just 2 chickens and literally just built a brand new coup for my hens the other week (typical!) I'm now looking to add 2 new chickens to my old ones but I've got the usual worries about pecking order etc. I live in a city and unfortunately threw away my old coup so I'm really limited in terms of what I can do with separate coups etc. I was going to hatch the chooks myself as I have done in the past but I think I'm just going to buy some POL hens. My current chickens are run of the mill hybrids and I'll probably buy the same again (light Sussex, Rhode island cross).

Thanks in advance :frow

One of the disadvantages of introducing older chickens is the problems that can arise if you do not quarantine them first.

I integrated my flock (over 3 year age difference) by putting up temporary chicken wire barrier down the middle of the coop when the younger ones were ~3 months. I left one end of the wall accessible by using hooks an eyes. The older girls were able to get in and out, the younger were shut in. Gradually, they earned time together. At the point where they seemed to be able to roost peacably, I removed the barrier.

Back
Top Bottom