introducing new hens

Feeling adventurous so just tucked everyone in for the night in the coop. Turkey & six chickens up on their usual roosting bar together. All 4 ducks have the coop floor for the night. Will check in later, Banjo was still moving away from all 3 girls. He might not get much sleep tonight! I’ll be up before sunrise to let everyone out together so maybe Turkey will be less aware that 2 ducks became 4. And she’s not paying them any attention as long as it’s dark.

Well I’m not bored now lol!

First visit went like this: My duck & the two new girls chased my drake all around the yard, endlessly. He ran and ran 😅 interrupted only when Turkey took it upon herself to chase the new ducks back under a bush and around the same corner over and over again.

Lol it’s been calm for months so I forgot about flock adjustment chaos.

New girls are back in their own section but I think I’ll put them in a dog crate inside the coop with everyone tonight. Maybe waking up together will lead to less chasing tomorrow 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Why oh why is my boy terrified? 😂😂😂
Im sorry but the image of his girl and the new ducks ganging up on him and chasing him around made me laugh. And then for the turkey to jump in and save him. Poor boy. 🤣
This may take a little bit of time.

Ducks came out as a foursome, with my original girl Jubilee letting the new girls know this is her drake, haha. She was a lone hatch and thankfully we found her a friend within a few days, who turned out to be our now drake, causing this duck math problem. They’re very bonded so I was curious how more girls would go. But also thinking, add them now, so spring is ok…

The waking up together trick seems to have gotten Turkey to care a lot less about the new girls, who managed to eat and have a little swim in the cement mixer tray we put out.

☺️ so far today!

Back
Top Bottom