Introducing new members to the flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by canny75, Jan 7, 2010.

1. canny75

canny75 New Egg

Jan 7, 2010
    Hi. I'm newly-just hatched on this site. I read about this group in PSYCH TODAY and I subscribe to BACKYARD POULTRY.
    I live in rural Connecticut w/ 5 girls - 2 RIReds, 2 Barred Rocks, and an Arucana, all ten months old and great layers. They have a 4x6 coop and a large run. I also let them roam the yard most days (under my Collie's careful supervision!). I'm considering adding two more young girls this spring. Will the hens I have tolerate additions within the same space? Are some breeds better to add in than others?
    I really don't want to partition the coop or the run.
    Thanks for your suggestions,
    Canny

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I personally use a few week and closely supervised integration process with my birds. There will still be some "pecking order" issues for a while. I only intervene if someone is being seriously picked on.
    I took the great advice of everyone on here and fully integrated at night when all of my "old birds" were roosting.
    The only thing I would tell you about new breeds is I wouldn't put any banties in with standard sized birds.
    Other than that, good luck with your chickens and [​IMG].

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC from The Pampered Pullets Farm in North Central Florida (Ocala)
    [​IMG]

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI. Look around in the FAQ section and some of the threads in the Managing your Flock section from summer and fall......lots of info on integrating new chickens. I added 2 to my 'old flock' of 4 this fall. I did quarantine the new birds for 4 weeks (they were about 6 weeks old when I got them) and then had them in a 'fenced off' section in the coop for a couple of weeks to let the other chickens get used to them. Then I let the together, first with supervison. There was some pecking and bullying for a while but never to a point of injury or total terror. The RIR was most unpopular and it turned out he was a rooster (re homed at 17 weeks). I have to say though I wanted the younger chickens to be fully feathered and at a good size, the older girls are quite big [​IMG] Worked out well but the youngest girl is lowest in the flock....

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Hey Canny! [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us!

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas size [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Hello [​IMG] From Massachusetts You will find a lot of info here. Im going to be building my second coop soon. Should be better than the first thanks to the info I got here [​IMG] Have fun on the site [​IMG] Scotty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by