Introducing New Turkeys

Hunters channel

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2019
So as the title says, I am getting new turkeys. I currently have
2 broad breasted bronze males
1 broad breasted white female
2 broad breasted white males

I have a friend who is giving me 2 broad breasted bronze hens. I will get them next month in March. I have a pasture when the cow goes that I will use as their big run.
My question, How do I introduce new turkeys to and established flock? I hear horror stories all the time. Thanks in advance!

So as the title says, I am getting new turkeys. I currently have
2 broad breasted bronze males
1 broad breasted white female
2 broad breasted white males

I have a friend who is giving me 2 broad breasted bronze hens. I will get them next month in March. I have a pasture when the cow goes that I will use as their big run.
My question, How do I introduce new turkeys to and established flock? I hear horror stories all the time. Thanks in advance!
You do it the same way that you would do with any other poultry.

1. Quarantine the new arrivals until you are satisfied they are not bringing any new disease or pests (lice, mites, etc.)

2. Establish a see but no touch area where the new additions can be inspected by the current flock without being able to actually get in physical contact with each other.

3. Wait until any aggression through the fence has stopped.

4. Release the new additions once all the previous conditions have been met.

5. Stand back and watch. Pecking order squabbles will happen. If you interfere with them, it will only make it take longer for them to settle their differences. If the confrontations get too much for you, you can go back to step 2.

Back
Top Bottom