1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing new turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by longranger, Oct 3, 2009.

1. longranger

longranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    I will be getting several Narraggansett hens for my Young Narri Tom. He is approaching 6 months old, is huge and is very alpha even with older toms but gentle. How is he likely to react to 3 month old hens if they are put in a new "neutral" pen together? He is 25# plus and still growing. Doubt the hens will be much larger than 5 or 6#. He is a gentlemen with ladies his own age.

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Even with the size difference they should be ok, the new hens will tend to stick together anyway. Just keep a close eye on them.

Steve in NC

3. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Thanks for posting this question... I'll be introducing two 3 - 4 month old BR hens to an older tom in a couple of weeks (as soon as the new coop is built!). Hope you'll let us know how the transition goes.

And thanks, Steve, for your reply. It's good to know that all "should" go well. In addition to keeping an eye on my turks, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

4. longranger

longranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    In general my introductions have been uneventful but I have always stacked the odds in my favor by having plenty of room, good temperaments on my birds,similar age and size etc.. This makes me more nervous because the Tom is huge, very alpha and could mortally wound the much smaller turkeys intended to form the nucleus of his flock if for some reason he wanted to. He currently lives with 5 other toms and 2 hens, none narris. He has never hurt them but is clearly boss. Probably will be smooth and easy. Will post a followup eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by