Introducing not really new chicken

MyISAbrownhens

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2017
Virginia
So if you’ve been keeping track with my other forum you know that my chicken recently had surgery to help the wing she had torn off by a predator. The area is looking great now and it has been a little over a week since her surgery and I was hoping to re-introduce her to the flock. Unfortunately they didn’t take it as well as I’d like them to. It’s understandable for them to re-introduce the pecking order but the hen at the top of my packing order Is doing it aggressively, even when my injured hen is very submissive she continues to pick on her constantly. When I open the door my injured hen runs out very quickly in fear. Right now she is in a crate in the chicken coop getting used to the others. Please give me some hints on what I can do. (She really isn’t currently injured she just had surgery)

(She really isn’t currently injured she just had surgery)
A week isn't long, I'm sure she's still healing.

I would remove the top hen and any others acting aggressively, allow the injured bird time (days not hours) to establish herself and then reintroduce the aggressive birds one at a time over a period of time - again 'days not hours'. Good luck.
Ditto Dat^^

Okay well I will probably leave her in the crate in the run for a bit then, let her restablish herself, but when I tried to take the top hen out, all the others continued to peck on her a lot. How long do you suppose it would take th heal and what should I do?

Okay well I will probably leave her in the crate in the run for a bit then, let her restablish herself, but when I tried to take the top hen out, all the others continued to peck on her a lot. How long do you suppose it would take th heal and what should I do?
Will the crate fit in the coop?
Best to leave crate with sight of the flock 24/7.
I'd give it at least another week of 'see no touch', before allowing physical contact.

I asked for pic of wound in your injury thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hens-wing-torn-off.1320311/

No it won’t fit in the coop unfortunately, when the weeks are up, how can best reintroduce her to them?
Where are you keeping her at night?

It may take some 'chicken juggling'.

If I knew......
-your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
-your coop and run(size in feet by feet with pics),
I could make specific suggestions.

If I knew......
Every hen is exactly the same, they are all sisters, they are the same breed size and age, I only have hens. There are 5 of them total, including the one I’m trying to re-introduce

If I knew......

Attachments

• 8167F960-228B-45AF-AE98-DBB469A7BC00.jpeg
    8167F960-228B-45AF-AE98-DBB469A7BC00.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 6AF880D6-1215-4C89-8216-A96BF0AC1546.jpeg
    6AF880D6-1215-4C89-8216-A96BF0AC1546.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
How old are they?

Gonna be tough with such a small space, especially the coop.
How handy are you?

I'd fence off end of the run opposite the coop, 2x4 fencing would work, need an easy entrance for yourself.
Put up some weather protection so she doesn't get rained on. That bin with an entrance cut into it might work as shelter, but block wind and sun too. Keep her there during the days for another week or two. Put her feed/water near the fence. Sprinkle scratch grains or treats on both sides of divider fence...to get them all to eat near each other.

Then maybe add one bird, the 'nicest' one, to the fenced off area with her so she can bond with that bird. Might take some mix and match to find the right combo.

That's all I got for now.

Back
Top Bottom