introducing older chicken

haus

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 4, 2011
I received a two year old Barred Rock hen from a friend, and introduced it to my flock of five one year olds. Everything was fine for the first hour, then when I went out again to check, the new bird was in the corner with her head hidden into the corner of the pen. When I moved the other hens away from the new chick, she got up and walked around. A few minutes later two of the hens were back to pecking her and she retreated to the corner again. I removed her from the pen, as I didn't want a dead chicken. Is there any way to integrate new chickens to a pen? Is this a way of the flock showing their pecking order? Some help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
I've had the best results when I keep the new chickens in the same coop with the others, yet divided or seperated in some way. After about a week I remove the divider and let them have the entire day to mingle with plenty of room. Even then, it can take a long while for them to work things out. I hope things get better - it's not fun having chickens that don't get along!

Try keeping her in a dog crate or something inside the pen. This way they can see each other but not attack. Then try to release her at night in a couple weeks so they all wake up together as friends. This often works. Good luck!

In the final analysis, you will have to let them work it out. But you can help; there are several ways.

A separate feeder and waterer in a different location will hopefully ensure the new girl gets enough. You may have to separate her a couple times a day for a while and allow her to eat and drink. It should help to provide hiding places, and provide distractions that last a while -- such as a flock block, a hanging head of cabbage, new items to jump up on, etc. Since chickens are disturbed by any change, simply moving something around once or twice a day might help.

One approach is to house the new one in a separate area adjacent to the rest of them so they can easily see and hear each other, for a few weeks. Another is place the new bird on the roost just after dark, and hope they older ones don't notice the new one so much in the morning.

Many people just let them work it out unless blood is drawn, separate them til the injury heals, then try again. I'm sure there are lots of other ideas.

Good luck!

Those sound like good ideas. Will make a little mini pen inside pen. It sounds like it takes some time to introduce.

Back
Top Bottom