Introducing Orphan Chick into Existing Brood

fourfeathers

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Western Kentucky
Hi,
I took an injured chick from the feedstore that had broken toes and a possible sprain or broken joint in one leg. Splinted her successfully and she is walking fine now. I have a friend who has an existing bunch of chicks, same standard size although different breed (hers are califormia white/ameracauna and my chick is RIR) and close to same age (about 7-9 days old at this time). Have any of you had any luck introducing a single chick into an existing hen/chicks? Does mom accept the chick usually? Any input is appreciated. I'd rather not keep a single and then introduce to my adults in a few mos, but have done that in the past. Wouldn't it be better to put with the hen and chicks since this one recovered fine?.....I always keep the ones that do Not recover or rehab completely. But, this one seems good.

I have given lone chicks to existing family groups @ a day or two old, but not sure how it would work for an older chick? Someone on BYC said that she feels that a hen will take a chick that has similar coloration to her existing chicks... is this bird similar in looks to her babies?

IF you decide to try this, I would add the chick in the dark of night when mom can't see what you are doing... BUT I would be up early to see how things are going in the morning!

Good luck with this baby.

Integrating with other chicks is easy. But if the other chicks are with a momma hen, then chances are at 7-9 days old, she will reject this baby as an outsider. If you do try it, definitely put the chick in at night and watch very closely first thing in the morning. Now if it was a silkie mom, you'd probably have no issue whatsoever. If your friend is raising the chicks in the brooder without a hen, then go for it.

I think it all depends on the broody hen. Some will take anything that peeps under their wing no problem and others will attack the new chick. I would be more concerned with that leg. I would keep a close eye on it to make sure that it grows at a natural rate.

Good luck!

Oh, what to do? Her leg is healing nicely, I took the splint off to check yesterday and the ankle is back in a good position, she can walk fine. Still a little swelling and one toe, the middle one, curves inward a bit. So, resplinted. Hard decision, I don't want her to be rejected. My friend says the mom is a good mom. They are different chicks though, califormia white/ameracauna and mine is a RIR.

Back
Top Bottom