Introducing pullets to a single chicken?

ghostrocknroll

Chirping
Jun 13, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
A coyote got to my flock and I was left with one 9-month-old (Salem). This weekend I am going to pick up two 4-month-old pullets. My question is should I keep them separate initially as I have done with chicks in the past, or would it be okay to introduce the pullets to the same coop since Salem is alone? The coop and run are plenty big for all of them - it was built for a flock of 6, but I have no idea if Salem will be a bully. I've seen her bully a turkey (and I caught it on video, ha!) but she was always very shy and the one to be bullied in the flock.

What do you guys think?

Chicken tax (my special little Salem):
20210618_173716.jpg

I would definitely quarantine the new birds to be sure they are healthy and disease, mite, and lice free. Then proceed from there
Yes.
Considering biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article

The coop and run are plenty big for all of them - it was built for a flock of 6
How big is that in feet by feet?
Got some pics?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1642256305509.png

If all I was risking was one chicken, I would not worry about a quarantine. However, I do not buy from auctions, just near by fellow crazy chicken ladies like me. I do not buy birds I feel sorry for. It is a risk, but not like you are risking 100 head of chickens, or your life work.

A true quarantine is incredibly difficult to do, and most people don't do it correctly, and if you don't, you may as well not do it at all.

One of the best things that I have figured out, is to pull out the original bird from your set up, and allow the new birds some time in the coop/run set up alone for a day or two. This allows them to explore a new place without being chased for their lives. After that, let them out in the yard with the original, and generally they will all return to the coop, and it is over.

I hate predators - fully understand your loss! Good luck.

Mrs K

If all I was risking was one chicken, I would not worry about a quarantine. However, I do not buy from auctions, just near by fellow crazy chicken ladies like me. I do not buy birds I feel sorry for. It is a risk, but not like you are risking 100 head of chickens, or your life work.

A true quarantine is incredibly difficult to do, and most people don't do it correctly, and if you don't, you may as well not do it at all.

One of the best things that I have figured out, is to pull out the original bird from your set up, and allow the new birds some time in the coop/run set up alone for a day or two. This allows them to explore a new place without being chased for their lives. After that, let them out in the yard with the original, and generally they will all return to the coop, and it is over.

I hate predators - fully understand your loss! Good luck.

Mrs K

After reading this, I decided to take the risk. Salem now has her two friends Aggie and Beatrix and they are getting along splendidly! She has been curious but not bothersome toward them. I've already caught Salem and Aggie cuddling. They have had no problem sharing food, water, and treats. They seem to be healthy birds - the woman I got them from had a beautiful flock - but I, of course, will keep a close eye on everyone. Easy peasy lemon squeezy so far.

Thank you to everyone who replied!!

Back
Top Bottom