Introducing rescued hen to existing flock

McGill

Chirping
Jun 4, 2023
Kansas
This little beauty is a 5mo old Lavender Ameraucana. The lady we got her from lost her entire (small) flock to predators except for her. She needed some friends! After keeping her separate for a few weeks to keep an eye on her for biosecurity, what is the best way to introduce a single hen to an established flock? I have 10 hens under age 1. They do not free range, but they have a very large coop and runs.

Attachments

• 20231205_065703.jpg
    20231205_065703.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 45
I would start off with a look but don't touch method. You would put her in a separate area right next to everyone, so they can start getting to know and getting used to each other without her getting picked on. Then eventually you'd be able to completely introduce her.

I have never tried this but I hear that it sometimes helps to introduce her to a couple of the hens first, and they all live in the look no touch area and then she has some friends when entering the whole flock?
I've never heard of that before! It could work, but I might be a bit concerned about your existing flock's pecking order being messed up and your 2 other girls being picked on when introduced back in.

This little beauty is a 5mo old Lavender Ameraucana. The lady we got her from lost her entire (small) flock to predators except for her. She needed some friends! After keeping her separate for a few weeks to keep an eye on her for biosecurity, what is the best way to introduce a single hen to an established flock? I have 10 hens under age 1. They do not free range, but they have a very large coop and runs.
Thanks for rescuing a hen! As others have said, its great to get her in a cage or similar for a look don't touch idea, but I have had better success with allowing a hen to be with 1-2 of the other birds for a few days so they can mingle safely and form a bond so when she is introduced to the majority she has some friends to back her up!

Back
Top Bottom