Introducing rooster

BSCielakie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
We just adopted 8 black star hens and 4 red star hens that are 4mos. We would like to introduce a barred rock rooster to them but wondering how he will do with our girls. Our reds laid their first eggs today and all seem to be doing well and are getting more social by the day. Is there a big difference in fertilized eggs and non fertile eggs? Will the fertile eggs last as long? Any advice is helpfu

As far as I know, the only difference in fertile and non fertile eggs is the obvious... One will hatch and one won't. If you add a rooster, just know that your hens may stop laying for a while. They will eventually start back, but sometimes, changes like that will cause the hens stress and they may stop laying a while. I'm not at all saying not to add a rooster... I have one and love him.. He's great with the girls. Just want you to be prepared.

That's great thank you, and we definately want to add a rooster but now may not be the best time for our girls

A young roo will be more problems than one 1 1/2 YO or more old. I like having a rooster for more than getting chicks, my roo stands and watches for hawks ect while his girls feed! He called an alert yesterday as there was a small hawk pair near by, everybody ran and hid! He calls the girls when he finds something for them and gives it to them when they come for it. (at which time he flirts them up, but does not jump them unless they squat) Good luck there are good roos and poor roos, the poor ones make good diner!

Thanks so much RWise, that helps alot. Everyone around us is selling young roo's not many older ones available

The problem with the young roo is he is not experienced, and hormone driven, he will chase down a hen that does not wish to mate with him, which results in their back feathers being pulled out. Or even worse, a young roo I had killed an old hen that refused him, he was culled. I have a youngster now (9 moth old) but he will not be with my girls until he grows up a bit (if ever, as he does have goals to meet, more than good looks, he has that)

I placed an add on CL looking for a 1 1/2 YO roo (Ameraucana) and offered up a $10 bill for him. I got many responses and was given a roo raised bay a child within 5 miles of me (he gets a pullet or 2 this spring), they had 3 and not enuf girls for them.

Back
Top Bottom