Introducing Runner Ducks to my flock... advice?

Want Less

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
New Bern, NC
We are adopting two female runner ducks that are just over a year old. They are currently in a penned flock of chickens. We have a flock of 20 hens and one rooster, and though they are kept in a very large pen until about noon (to keep them laying in their boxes), they free range the rest of the day on our farm and we don't lock them up until after dark.

These two ducks are used to chickens, but my chickens have never seen ducks before. What is the best way to introduce them? Same way as introducing a new hen? In the past with a random new hen we have put the new lady in a very large metal dog crate inside the pen so they can all "meet" but still be safe.

This all, of course, after they have been quarantined. We have a separate pen for that.

Any advice would be great!

That sounds like a great plan to me. After awhile of being separated but being able to be seen they should be able to get used to each other.

we have pens of breeder flock ducks and we have our free range flock, same with our chickens. Once the quarantine period is over, we introduce them during feeding time, it has worked the best for us....

Back
Top Bottom