introducing same age chicks?

questions543

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
I have one chick that I got from an old couple and I'm scedualed to pick up another chick tomorow. the one I'm picking up is one week older. I plan on putting them together on a towel so one can run away if it wants to and then after awhile try putting them together in a brooder. I will not keep them together for the first night and perhaps not the second if they're not getting along.

Do you guys think this will work?

Last edited:
hm...I do...but you want to try to make them bond as much as you can! goodluck!
lol.png

Well, I need to get a little more info to actually say yes or no, so I'll try to qualify my answer.

My (admit idly) short experience is that if the chicks are less than 3 weeks old you should have no problems at all, just stick them together. At 4 weeks, it might be iffy. When I tried to integrate with 5 week olds, it was obvious that I would actually have to work on the integration by keeping them separated, but visible to each other for a couple of weeks. Even after that there was a short period when the younguns learned they had better keep a distance between themselves and the older girls. Even now, (16 weeks vs 11 weeks) while they are all in the coop/run together, there are a few times that a couple of my older ones will take it upon themselves to do a little 'keep outta my way' discipline on the younger ones.

hahaha well I got the chicken and I put them both on the carpet and I guess they were so happy to see each other they decided to act like they were sisters! The three week old one I think is somehow on the top of the pecking order and 4 1/5 week one is on the bottom... Or maybe that's just her being a sibling :p Anyhow they make a racket when I seperate them so I guess they're staying together!

I have the same question actually....I have a mix silkie whos a rooster.Sadly his bros and sisters died recently.I want to get him a buddy but dont know if its a good idea...Hes alot older then the ones I plan on getting.Would it be bad to do this?Or should I be ok?

Hmm/.......not exactly sure ho old the lil ones are but they are still babies and mine ive had since april 21st i believe? Somewhere around there...plus hes a rooster

if hes a rooster I would be very careful... DO you have anything where they would be able to interact through transparent plastic/glass or wire?

umm...possibly.Me and my dad are planning on building a bigger coop in about 3 or so weeks and thats when we are getting the little ones.I probably wont put my survivor in until the little ones get in that way he cant claim the coop exactly to himself.Not exactly sure how I would be able to seperate them because we already have the coop design.Any other way I can get him used to them??

Back
Top Bottom