introducing scovy back to parents? is he big enough?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spish, Nov 3, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    on sep 6th this year my 'scovy hatched out some eggs..she killed all but one of her babies which i managed to rescue and brought inside to rear.
    well the little guy (or gal) is now 2 months old and pretty big....been living outside with chicks in the barn and is acting more like a chicken than a duck..so id like to put him back with the ducks....but how do i go about that?

also by 2 months old i thought he'd be all feathered out..but he's still mostly all fluff (bar his wings and tail which have big duck feathers)

will it be ok to introduce him to the ducks....or should i put him in the hen house with the chicks (who are moving out to the big chicken pens this week)

he has to go in one or the other or he'll be all alone in the barn as everyone is moving out too.

or he gets brought inside with me (he's very tame and loves company) but then he's always stuck indoors alone as i work all day... *sigh* not sure what to do for the best?

2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I have two ducks that are about 10 weeks old, when they were around your duck's age I introduced them to Charlotte the duck... they were straight away pretty aggressive to her and they started fighting, so I seperated them. When I fed them or had them preoccupied they kinda ignored each other, but generally kept getting into fights. I think it was a dominance thing.. and I didn't want the lil ones to get hurt so I kept them away.

After that they got out of their pen once and must of lost to Charlotte as they kept running the opposite direction everytime she got near. To get them used to each other I made them a wire mesh pen next to Charlotte and now they get along just fine when I let them in together, although they still arent a big fan of Charlotte, she still follows them everywhere and is always trying to hang out.

So just time and patience will work, but be careful as Charlotte easily hurt the lil ducks so I can imagine your dominant duck could easily hurt your lil one. Probably will pay just to wait til the ducks a little older.

Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by