Introducing several birds to a lone survivor

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Honey Buns, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Honey Buns

Honey Buns New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    Our already small flock of 3 has recently been reduced to 1 due to an overly excited dog. We are looking to introduce new birds and grow our flock to 4. We aren't sure if we should get 3 different breeds or even worry about it. We've heard different stories. Some say "birds of a feather..." others say it doesn't matter, the birds will establish a pecking order. We don't want our Sexlink to get picked on after all she's been through. What to do, what to do?

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi,
    I would say it's ok to get different breeds...I cannot even count off the top of my head how many different breeds I have in my coop! In the introduction of new chickens I would have them seperate but able to see each other at least for a few days.Then maybe allow some range time together when you can supervise it, and see how it goes.I am thinking if the new chickens are the same age as your SL then it should go rather smoothly.Are the three you would be getting from the same flock?
    Hope all goes well [​IMG]
    ETA [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. epignosisjs

epignosisjs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Good morning! [​IMG] from Florida!
    Sorry about the dog issue. [​IMG]
    If you get three that are already a part of a flock, they may see yours as the outsider, a la "3 against 1"
    Good luck with growing your flock! This link will help you find local BYCers, maybe you can find someone who needs a home for one (or more) of their flock.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=26

5. mshuey1

mshuey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    San Antonio
    WELCOME MY FRIEND! I would do what NYRIR said, great advice I owen over 200 chickens of all breeds and thats the way I do things it takes time but its all worth it.[​IMG]

6. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Pride, La.

10. Codyandme1

Codyandme1 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Hi im new but i definately say make sure that all the new birds you get have been vacinated as you dont want your rescued chicken to catch anything after what shes been through and managed to survive form before. as to introducing them, i think you should keep them seperate for a while incase they have got a disease but when you put them together observe for a while.your original chicken may peck around and defend herself as she considers it her coop or she will get bossed around.if you think its getting to violent seperate them again or just try and feed them treats when they are all together and the chickens should find that good things happen when they are together. try it and see what happens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by