Introducing single chick to a very small flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cejones119, May 10, 2011.

1. cejones119

cejones119 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2010
    I have a very small flock, only 2 hens. We had three but lost one to a hawk. She was not the smartest of the bunch for sure... I ended up with a single chick that I think (for some unknown reason) is a roo. He's super tame, I think he was an abandoned easter present. Anywho, I put him under a laundry basket in the yard yesterday to see how the girls would react and they mostly kept their distance. But then he slipped out though and approached them and they ran the other direction as fast as they could. With such a small flock do you think I'll have luck introducing him after a while? My space is limited so I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep him inside and my coop is too small to put him outside but separate from the hens. Any suggestions? Think I'll have any luck? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. cejones119

cejones119 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2010
    Here's a picture of him too! No idea what breed he is. [​IMG]

3. silkeysandra

silkeysandra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    grand prairie, tx
    If you have or can make a 2x2x2' cage even just out of chicken wire or use a child's play pen, keep little one in that in the shade for the girls to visit. I had to do this for about a week before letting my newbie out. She will get pecked as the low person on the order, but just make sure she/he is not being hurt. Things should settle down after a couple nights spent together. If you have an enclosed place for the girls to roost, place them all in there and leave closed for a day. BEWARE: if this new chicken is way smaller, let it grow to nearly equal size before introducing as they will get injured by the older girls. I left my new little ones in the house or an enclosed pet pen in the shade until they were big enough to fend off the older girls.
    Let us know how it is going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by