Introducing the pullets....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ElioraImmanuel, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    We're in our new home. I have 10 week old pullets and 8 week old pullets. I want to move the 10 weekers into the coop. Is it too early? I want to put our 8 weekers into the movable pen. Help?

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    At 6 weeks I have all my chicks outside full time in the coop...The weather is nice, and the nights are not to cold....They are all doing just fine !

3. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Are there older birds in the coop now? If not, I don't see any problem with putting the 10 week olds in. They will freak out for a while. If you are planning to free range them, I think you need to keep them in the coop for a few days so they can establish it as their home, and know to come back to it. As for the younger birds, will they be coming back in the house/barn/basement to sleep? Have the older and younger birds been raised together?

4. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    I have 36 hens and 3 roosters in the coop right now. We just moved and the older hens are on lock down (8 days,) but I'm thinking of letting them out, now, into the fenced pasture.

How should I go about this?

5. franksflock

franksflock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I live in upstate NY and just put my 4 week olds out into the coop. There are 27 of them, and they have a nice insulated coop for night time. They have done great so far.

6. ElioraImmanuel

Jan 8, 2010
    Did you have older hens in the coop, already? We have 36 hens and 3 roos that are 14 months old. Will the youngers be able to stand up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by