Introducing two young roosters to existing flocks

21henmom

Chirping
Dec 31, 2018
I have two roosters that are three months old that I need to introduce into my existing flocks. They are currently living in our temporary run with their two little hens. One too is a Polish and the other may be a Jersey Giant mix. They all interact with each other when they have free time outside of the runs each day. I have never just put birds into a run without sectioning it off first and letting them get used to each other, but I can't do that for just one bird. I would wait on putting them in but the bigger rooster is trying to punk out the Polish. They don't have spurs yet, but I don't want to let it go on too long. My 3 year old hens are laid back and won't mind some newbies, but the other run with 2 year olds and pullets is a different story! Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Try the simple thing first: put the cockerels into the run(s) where they should live, watch to see what happens.

A bit of chasing and pecking is fine. If there's lots of bullying and it goes on for a while, you will have to pull them back out and try something more complicated.

It's more likely to go smoothly if you also add a distraction when putting the cockerels in-- a pile of new bedding to scratch through and spread around, some pieces of sod, a few shovels-full from a compost pile, a pile of grass clippings, a bowl full of vegetable peelings, etc. (Those are just suggestions--obviously, pick what works for you. But the longer they spend scracthing and pecking instead of chasing the new cockerels, the less they will chase them later.)

I am confused with your question.
You have 2 young cocreles you want to integrate to your flock of 3 yr old hens that already have a mature rooster?
That recipie already sounds like trouble as I assure you your mature rooster is going to object to sharing his hens with 2 new comers.
Your polish cockrel is most concerning because of his limited sight distance and will be picked on by everybody.
You speak of not dividing the pen for the sake of 1? What 1?
Why 3 roosters?

I am confused with your question.
You have 2 young cocreles you want to integrate to your flock of 3 yr old hens that already have a mature rooster?
That recipie already sounds like trouble as I assure you your mature rooster is going to object to sharing his hens with 2 new comers.
Your polish cockrel is most concerning because of his limited sight distance and will be picked on by everybody.
You speak of not dividing the pen for the sake of 1? What 1?
Why 3 roosters?
No, I don't have any roosters except for these two. They are the same age. All of my ladies have been single until now. The two young roos are starting to go after each other so I have to separate them soon. I've had hens for over three years, but roos are new to me. I had divided the run in the past to introduce pullets with a temporary fence, but I don't want to divide again for one bird. Plus, it would cut the pullets off from their coop. My Polish does worry me the most. I thought about giving him a haircut so he could see a little better. I know he is going in with my older hens. They are more excepting than the other group.

Try the simple thing first: put the cockerels into the run(s) where they should live, watch to see what happens.

A bit of chasing and pecking is fine. If there's lots of bullying and it goes on for a while, you will have to pull them back out and try something more complicated.

It's more likely to go smoothly if you also add a distraction when putting the cockerels in-- a pile of new bedding to scratch through and spread around, some pieces of sod, a few shovels-full from a compost pile, a pile of grass clippings, a bowl full of vegetable peelings, etc. (Those are just suggestions--obviously, pick what works for you. But the longer they spend scracthing and pecking instead of chasing the new cockerels, the less they will chase them later.)
That is a good idea. I just introduced a new nest box platform to that run today that they have been interested in. Maybe with that and lots of goodies (my husband just mowed so I have lots of fresh grass) it would be a good time to move one of them. I hate to separate the little group. They are very attached to each other, but the Polish will get hurt of I don't move him in the next couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom