Introducing very docile Orpington Rooster to Flock of 3 Hens?

coltsfoot

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
I know it's not the ideal ratio but we are considering rescuing a roo and adding him to our little flock (2 BR and 1 RIR). Normally I'd worry about him harassing the girls but he is Seriously docile and if anything, it'll be the other way around (which would also be an issue). Although he is Huge... Any thoughts on this? With the quarantine period, it's impossible to know just how they'll interact. Any chicken wisdom...? Thx so much.

cf

I think you will be surprised!

lob him in with them throw some corn at his feet and see what he does.
If he calls the girls and they come running then they already know the pack drill.
Ditto if they then squat for him

Keep an eye on your alpha Hen she will be the one to offer a challenge if any of them do she may in turn be challenged by one of the other hens especially if that hen is in favour with the roo

Bare in mind Orps need large pop holes and can struggle up on to high perches inside coops so consider lowering them all or providing a very gentle ramp up

My large Splash Roo 'Legless' roosts on the floor because he has a birth defect and his back toes are not too strong.
Normally he has a couple of hens under each wing and the rest up on the perches

His fellow Roo who is also our Alpha Roo roosts in another coop they all have their Hens and none of the Hens ever swap coops.

Can you do a slow intro with him in a large dog crate or wired off? Or a free range intro where you can see how they get along?

Yeah, we will definitely do this. It's just the initial quarantine that is a big investment for something that might not work out later... But we are probably going to give it a shot.

Thanks for responding Highstreet!

I think you will be surprised!

lob him in with them throw some corn at his feet and see what he does.
If he calls the girls and they come running then they already know the pack drill.
Ditto if they then squat for him

Keep an eye on your alpha Hen she will be the one to offer a challenge if any of them do she may in turn be challenged by one of the other hens especially if that hen is in favour with the roo

Bare in mind Orps need large pop holes and can struggle up on to high perches inside coops so consider lowering them all or providing a very gentle ramp up

My large Splash Roo 'Legless' roosts on the floor because he has a birth defect and his back toes are not too strong.
Normally he has a couple of hens under each wing and the rest up on the perches

His fellow Roo who is also our Alpha Roo roosts in another coop they all have their Hens and none of the Hens ever swap coops.

Great info Dallas, thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom