introducing young chicks to a bit older flock

Krisstina's Chickens

Hatching
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Siletz, Oregon
I am new to this whole chicken raising. I have 7 hens that were given to me over 4 months ago. They are older and I only get about 2-3 eggs a day. I am going to start replacing the hens with some new black sex-links that I purchased. They are 5 weeks old and they are still in my mud room......yes, I know...smelly. That leads to the next question...when can I put the chicks with the other flock? Do they still have to be seperated? And how do I do it? Anything special that I need to do? I have 14 little ones and they are quite good size. Can anyone help me here? I have a huge heated coop that is 8x10 and then an outdoor area for them that is 8x8. Thank you for your help!!!!

I think you need to wait till they are the same size as your big girls, move them @ around 16-18 weeks. The big girls will peck them unmercifully and might hurt them as they as still small. I know they need to be on chick grower till then and if you mix them now your big girls will eat all of the little girls food and they need to eat their layer food to produce good eggs. I have my little girls in a separate coop w/an attached run, it is right next to the big girls so they can get used to each other. I hope this info helps.

Back
Top Bottom