Introducing young (new) ducks to older ducks

Well I think I found a way to introduce my ducks to each other I'm hoping this will work they r a week apart in age

Hi All,
I have a question about introducing younger ducks to mature ducks. I have 2 Appleyards, a drake and a hen, I've had them for 1.5 years. Then I decided to incubate some of their eggs because the hen would not sit on them and I had 2 duckies hatch. I kept them in my house as it was cold outside when they hatched. The first warm day I brought one duckling outside in my hands to let him see his mom. The ducky mom had her feathers stand up on her head and ran away when she saw the duckling. They are 2 months old now and i've been trying to introduce them to their parents for a while now. I've been bringing the little ones outside and increased their time each day. The older drake does NOT like them, he attacks the little ones. The little ones don't like the older hen, they chase her around. Nobody gets along even though they spend all day outside together in separate pens but side by side for a few weeks now. I've even let all the ducks "figure it out", supervised of course...but still each day, without giving up, the drake runs up and down the outside of the duckling pen taunting them. And if i put them all together the drake attacks.....

I tried putting the drake separately and having the ducklings hang out with their mom but they chase her and she wants nothing to do with them.
hu.gif

I thought in time they would all calm down and be happy, but no. Is there anything else I should try? I've tried everything to introduce the new to the old......i just want them to live all together....

Thank you,

Hi I have a question. So my duck laid eggs and poof ducklings. They are a cross between Pekin and Mallard. The male was Mallard. So we have four babies and one is behind in developing its adult feathers. (I'll get some pics soon) but we think we have 2 males and 2 females. How do I do these introductions with these guys. If we are right we will have 3 males and 4 females. (We have another female) And what I've read is we need multiple females for one male. But they have separated pens so they see each other every day and the babies (well kinda babies) are curious but the male is aggressive. Anyway I will try to get pics but thanks before hand.

The usual advice throughout this thread has been "wait till everybody is the same size" and "start introducing them at night." If you want to keep them all together, you'll probably have to get rid of all but one boy before they mature. Otherwise the males will need to be separated from the females, and maybe even the males from each other if they're in sight of the girls

Last edited:
My mature drake is trying to mate with my 9 week old ducks (no matter the gender). What's up with that?? He's been placed back into the pen of shame

My mature drake is trying to mate with my 9 week old ducks (no matter the gender). What's up with that?? He's been placed back into the pen of shame
Some drakes just have way too much testosterone for their own good. You did the right thing by putting him back in the pen of shame. lol Until your 9 week olds are old enough to mate I'd keep him there.

Thanks Miss Lydia, yeah, he'll just have to be by himself as he has been almost since breeding season began. If adding new females to the flock doesn't stop him from bloodying their necks, it might be the end, no matter how beautiful he is. He has two mature females he can climb on top of, and he was trying to mount the 9 week old boys!! Not the smartest drake, I guess...

Thanks Miss Lydia, yeah, he'll just have to be by himself as he has been almost since breeding season began. If adding new females to the flock doesn't stop him from bloodying their necks, it might be the end, no matter how beautiful he is. He has two mature females he can climb on top of, and he was trying to mount the 9 week old boys!! Not the smartest drake, I guess...
He probably is dominating them I would think at 9 weeks he knows drakes from ducks.

The usual advice throughout this thread has been "wait till everybody is the same size" and "start introducing them at night." If you want to keep them all together, you'll probably have to get rid of all but one boy before they mature. Otherwise the males will need to be separated from the females, and maybe even the males from each other if they're in sight of the girls
What do you mean by introducing "them at night"? Put them all in the same house together for the night?? Wouldn't they all kill each other?
Lol

Back
Top Bottom