Introducing younger chicks to the main flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SandyC, Aug 23, 2007.

1. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

I posted this question on one of the other boards, but so far no responses so I hope I will get one here. I am thinking of getting 3, 9 week old Buff chicks and was wondering if I can put them in right away with my 5, 20 week old chickens and if not, about how long would I have to wait to be able to.

2. plester01

plester01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    Sorry to barge in but I have the same question. I have a almost 3 month hen/rooster ??? that I want to put with the flock. Everytime I try they try to beat it up (badly) so I take it back out. Will it ever be accepted? Also I have 2 and 3 week old silkie and mili flures in a brooder can I put DH's 1 and 2 day old chicks in with them and if so when?

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    not to steel your post but,
    I too have the same question!

I just gave away 3 - 9 wk EE because the older ones were drilling there heads even though I went slow & had them side by side for 3 wks, brought them out in the run with one older one at a time everyday for a
    week, an hour each bird than last day1 hr with all (didn't work)

NOW
    i am brooding barred rocks they will be 3 weeks when i have day old chicks arriving!

after a day or two can i brood them all together this way they will get along and later the older ones will be out ##

((they all had marks shot & I use the DE))

I wish I knew to get them all at once:th

4. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

So would it be better to get fully grown chickens? Is there still a risk that the others would pick on the new fully grown ones?

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I was reading a post here yesterday where a guy put his bantam chicks into the coop with his bigger birds and they killed most of them. I personally would give them their own place and maybe when they are comparible (sp) in size, slowly have introductions when you can be there to intervene. They will probably need to find a pecking order which is where the little ones would be at a major disadvantage. I am no expert, but i would not want to find out the sad way. I keep my birds in seperate pens with chicken wire dividing them so they kinda get used to eachother as they are growing up. Although i dont plan on combining them, I think this would help them if i ever did want to try. I hope i make sense LOL

6. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Quote:I would say yes, or at least try. I had a couple of day olds with 5 week olds and they didn't even pay attention to them. The earlier you introduce them the less the little ones will suffer. The only 5 week old that would peck them every once in a while was the ro but the 5 week old hens were fine with the babies.

7. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I disagree.

There is a big difference in size between day old chicks and 5 week old chicks. You were very lucky they were not harmed or killed.

Ideally, birds should be introduced when they are about the same size. Sometimes that is not possible. However, any time you combine birds, regardless of age, first separate the new birds in a cage or adjacent pen where they can see each other.

Poultry have a hiearchy and anytime it is disrupted by new members to the flock, there will be squabling until the new pecking order is established. Getting the birds used to each other first helps the transition.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I agree.. LOTS of socialization is necessary. Yet, I've been lucky and just free range 3 weeks on weather permitting and teach them to sleep in the big coop at about 2-3 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by