introducting myself?

ekdotin

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 15, 2014
(1) I have had odd hens at odd times in odd places.

(2) 2 sadly Do died of a dog attack and a cold.

(3) I am in France and they call them Golden Marans Mainly black with golden collars.

(4) by chance trawling the net, looking for info.

(5) antiques

(6) I have a feral cat (see photograph)

I came on this site because I want to buy 2 new hens and wonder how to introduce them to the older girls?

Last edited:
(1) I have had odd hens at odd times in odd places.

(2) 2 sadly Do died of a dog attack and a cold

(3) I am in France and they call them Golden Marans Mainly black with golden collars.

(4) by chance trawling the net, looking for info.

(5) antiques

(6) I have a feral cat (see photograph)
Welcome to BYC!! It is an awesome site!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

Hey There Ekdotin!
welcome-byc.gif
Let us know if you have any questions. This website has been a great asset to me. (And my chickens).
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your two chickens. As many BYC members can attest (some to their own sorrow), dogs and chickens do not usually mix well. There is an excellent article on Introducing New Chickens to an Existing Flock at http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in introducing the new hens to your flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry for your losses. But we do welcome you to our roost!

Make yourself at home here and feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

Hi and welcome! First and foremost I would quarantine new chickens for a few weeks and watch for signs of illness unless they are chicks I raised in a brooder. After quarantine I put the new ones in a wire carry kennel and set them where the older chickens can see them and get used to them. After they socialize through the barrier for a week or so I integrate them. Make sure you have an extra feed and water station because sometimes the established flock will try to guard the one they are using for awhile. If you are adding smaller, younger chickens fix an area they can escape to that older, bigger chickens can't get to. An area partitioned off with chicken wire with a small hole cut in it works well for this. Sometimes when I get ready to integrate I will take the chickens out of the kennel at night and put them into the coop. This seems to make it less stressful on the chickens. You can expect a week or so of pecking and chasing as they establish the pecking order but its normal. Just keep an eye on thing because if a chicken gets injured and bleeds the other can get pretty brutal. If a chicken is bleeding remove it from the others until it heals. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. I've done it 3 times and haven't had any injured chickens yet.

Thank you very much for your welcoming messages.There was a typo in my introduction I lost only one hen called Do. The two left EK and Tin are moulting for the first time and sleeping in the nest box at night and not laying anything and my husband and my neighbour are exchanging 'poule au pot' recipes.
They are horrible.
I am planning to buy 2 point of lay from the same breeder and I feel that the introducing at night is an excellent idea.
thank you for your help.
How does one load photographs? I would like to introduce the girls.
thanks
dom

Back
Top Bottom