Introducting young guineas to the flock

alisa53

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 9, 2014
We started with guineas earlier this year, adopting two adult flocks that we gradually introduced to one another. One group is laid-back, and the other tends to be a bit more "nervous." Both produced keets. The first group of keets (from the more "nervous" parents) is 12 weeks old this week. We tried to incorporate them into the adult flock at about 8 weeks of age, but the adults started chasing and pecking them. As they are fully feathered and rather flightly, they flew off into nearby woods. Held my breath until they got back that night, but get back they did. Four weeks later, I feel like I'm ready to try again. (I also really need to, as my second group of keets is 3 weeks old and - once fully feathered - will need to move into the smaller coop now occupied by the "tweens." And I'd like to get the "tweens" used to going into the big chicken house before the snows start to fly.) Any pointers on the best way to accomplish this?

Just for some additional context, we have a large chicken house (up to 75 layers) for the adult birds, which is contained in an area enclosed by electric poultry netting that is about 300 feet in diameter. The house sits off the ground and has wire mesh flooring, so we cannot go in ourselves, and we cannot easily put a smaller coop into the larger one. The 12-week-old birds are in a separate but adjacent pen, about 100 feet in diameter - so they see their parents, but don't interact. The younger birds largely stay within their small coop and run at the center of that smaller pen.

I bought and added 10 guinea to my existing flock of 5. I kept the 10 in a tractor for about 10 days right next to the coop with the original 5. The 5 hung around the newbies after a few days. When I opened the tractor they acted like one big happy family.

I am sure it was because they could see and interact through the wire for more than a week.... BTW the second bunch was about 5 weeks younger than my originals.

Thanks, duluthralphie - that's what we did with the original two flocks and it worked great. However, these newbies are much smaller still, at just 12 weeks - no "headgear" yet and still much, much smaller bodied. They were spooked once before by the adults, and I worry they will be again. But maybe they've gotten braver! :)

Hi! I have a big question about a guinea hen. What state are you in if you don't mind me asking? I need to find someone in CT who can help us. We have a lone wolf hen who wandered into our condo complex 6 months ago. He has since been "adopted " by the residents and with the cold weather coming, with the little thing being all alone, I am terrified it will freeze to death if I can't find someone to take it for the winter or find a permanent home very soon.

He is the sweetest bird and follows us around like a pet whenever we go outside etc. I just don't know what to do. They tried to have a local farmer come by but he tried to use a net with a small cage. This bird was way to smart for that one!

Any suggestions would be a huge help!

Lynn

Can our bird also just run around free too? We think hr/she is a hipee of sorts. Like a lone wolf. You know like the book animal farm. Afraid to be in a cage but wants friends. What do you think?

By,e the way, I think he/she would love you guys. Your picture made me cry. It looks just like our buddy. Please come before it's too cold!

Back
Top Bottom