Introduction and a question...

Welcome to BYC, Hannah. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. All three of your chicks look like Production Reds. They should be excellent layers. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your new chicks.

I don't know anything about production reds, but the first photo shows enough comb development to make me think BOY. Since no one else said anything, I probably way wrong. Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock.

This brings up the question I never understood. There are three types of bird, Rhode Island red, Sex Link red, and production red??
The only difference I can see is the amount of the patchy off white and how dark the red.
I can't prove who laid the egg there may be a slight difference in egg size not much.

As far as keeping them I think there the same, it just what they look like. If you plan to show that matters.

I never could figure the difference with prod. and sex link, besides the ease of sexing.

welcome and good luck

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens;)!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

welcome-byc.gif

This brings up the question I never understood. There are three types of bird, Rhode Island red, Sex Link red, and production red??
The only difference I can see is the amount of the patchy off white and how dark the red.
I can't prove who laid the egg there may be a slight difference in egg size not much.

As far as keeping them I think there the same, it just what they look like. If you plan to show that matters.

I never could figure the difference with prod. and sex link, besides the ease of sexing.

welcome and good luck

Rhode Island Reds are a true breed which are bred according to standards established by the poultry governing bodies. Production Reds are hybrids produced by crossing two red gene parents (any combination of RIR, New Hampshire Red, or Production Red). All of the offspring carry the red genes of both parents, but they are bred for egg production not for uniform physical characteristics, and as such are not recognized as a breed by the poultry governing bodies. Red Sex Links are hybrids produced by crossing a red gene rooster (either an RIR, NHR, or Prod. Red) with a silver gene hen (RIW, White Rock, SLW, Delaware, Light Sussex, etc.). Unlike Production Reds, the Red Sex Link offspring can be sexed by color from hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), and they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed.

Welcome to BYC, I have three RIRs your babies are adorable. And I agree that that look like Red Sexlink. But that is just my opinion.

Happy learning,
Samantha

Rhode Island Reds are a true breed which are bred according to standards established by the poultry governing bodies. Production Reds are hybrids produced by crossing two red gene parents (any combination of RIR, New Hampshire Red, or Production Red). All of the offspring carry the red genes of both parents, but they are bred for egg production not for uniform physical characteristics, and as such are not recognized as a breed by the poultry governing bodies. Red Sex Links are hybrids produced by crossing a red gene rooster (either an RIR, NHR, or Prod. Red) with a silver gene hen (RIW, White Rock, SLW, Delaware, Light Sussex, etc.). Unlike Production Reds, the Red Sex Link offspring can be sexed by color from hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), and they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed.

Thank you that is a very clear informative explanation

Back
Top Bottom