Introduction and rooster over mating question

Saukacre

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2016
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I had chickens five or six years ago when my boys were in 4H. I just got a new flock this spring.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 3 - A rooster and two hens

(3) What breeds do you have? Black Australorp

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Research for better management practices, etc.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? dog sports, obedience, nose work, barn hunt, agility, etc.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

So here a little background - I looked through the post about rooster over mating but, it really didn't answer my question. I had six chickens, 2 roosters, and 4 hens. Everyone was getting along very well. The one rooster was the boss and the other rooster didn't seem to mind being second. The second rooster did not and does not crow, was very timid and submissive to the other rooster. Then in a very unfortunate incident one of the dogs gained access to the chicken run, the dog killed my beautiful boss rooster and two of the hens. The rooster who is left has a broken wing which is healing nicely, one of the hens had two skin deep punctures which are also healing nicely, the other hen had no physical trauma. They all were very stressed. I have had them in the house, in the air conditioning to reduce heat stress and protect the one hen from flies. Now that the rooster is feeling better he is over mating with the one hen who was not injured. My questions are... Are two hens be enough for a rooster? I've never had less that six chickens. Will he back off on the over mating when he has established his dominance? Do I need to re-home him? Do I need to find more hens? How much time do I give him to settle into his new role in the flock?

Greetings from Kansas, Saukacre, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community! To your questions - I think the remaining rooster is probably already settled into his new role. I also think he will overbreed just two hens. The two options you mentioned - rehoming him or adding more hens - are both viable. Best of luck to you!

A rooster can handle 10 hens - any less and they will get overbred. Unless you need fertile eggs for hatching or sale, there really isn't any need for a rooster. Many people forgo having one and their hens don't miss it at all. They will also lay just as many eggs without a rooster.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

These are all the breeds of chicken I have ordered from MPC, obviously all brown egg layers except the leg horns which lay white. I have ordered 2 roosters being more of a "beauty" breed which I plan to mate with my silver and golden Wyandotte. I dont plan on mixing those roosters with other breeds unless you guys have suggestions for mixing? Only breeds i have ordered though. I am in the pursuit of a 3rd rooster but for more egg laying purpose mating. I don't want another Wyandotte, orpington, or jersey giant rooster because although they are good layers they aren't great. I know if i get a Rhode Island Red I could mate with delaware to get red star sex link chickens, but idk. I need help in choosing a 3rd rooster ,please give suggestions on different roosters and different mixture I can make such as australorp or delware or leghorn or rir or even speckled sussex rooster??? Idk, one I can't get is barred rock because they are out of males for my hatch week. Please help in my choosing of a good egg laying breed rooster! And suggestion for good mixtures of that chosen rooster to other breeds thank you![/quote]

Hello there, and welcome to the coop! I am so glad you decided to join the flock and I hope you'll make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

Back
Top Bottom