Introduction and Worries

Lchickie

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 15, 2014
Hello, everyone, and I'm happy to be joining this group where I can make friends, ask for help, and get some support (as needed
smile.png
)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I've owned chickens for about 8 years, I think, and my flock has increased, then decreased over that period of time. At the moment, I have 4 hens.

(2) What breeds do you have?

One hen is an Auracana, Gracie, one a red tipped Wyandotte, Foxy, and my other 2 are, hens of unknown breeding.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I learned about this group when I attended a workshop about "Winterizing Chickens."

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

A few other interests, actually my primary one, is riding. I own a Fox Trotter, Treasure, and a mini hores Misty. I also garden, knit, read, and bake.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have a Boston Terror (misspelled intentionally), 2 cats, and a parakeet. I live on a small farm, and always have stuff to do. I also teach English as a Second Language - I'm so busy!

What I worry about is the freezing cold weather. Last year 7 hens dies : ( and I attributed it to the cold. Last week some animal got into my coop and killed 3 of my hens - I was so sad.

To prevent another tragedy like either of those, I have insulated the ceiling of the coop, added lots of bedding, and last weekend, my boyfriend put up the door you see in the picture - it's perfect. Now I'm feeling a bit more confident, and I'd like to find at least 3 more hens to add to my flock.

Louise

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses
hugs.gif
Have a browse in our Learning Center. We have articles on the most common chicken predators and pests with tips on how to protect your flock against them (under Maintaining a Healthy Flock) and recently added an article on Winter Chicken Keeping with some tips and advice (under Housing and Feeding). I hope things will go smoothly for you after the coop reinforcements!

Hi and welcome! Sorry to hear about your hens. I have had chickens for almost 2 years. I have 10 hens: 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Black Australorp, 2 Black Sexlinks, and 5 mixed breeds. Also have 1 mixed breed roo. I plan on getting Buff Orpingtons and Dixie Rainbows next spring. I'm working on getting rabbits, too. I have a 17 year old son, a boyfriend of 10 years, 2 dogs ( basset hound and lab mix) and a spoiled house cat. I love hiking, gardening, canning, and watching football. We are working on turning 19 acres into a small farm and hope to be moved onto it in a couple of years so I can have dwarf goats, pigs, ducks, cows, and a donkey. A friend of mine that got chickens first told me about BYC. Make yourself at home here! Shannon

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry for your losses!
hugs.gif
Defiantly check out the learning center link provided by Sumi.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am so sorry for the loss of your birds.
hugs.gif
Make sure to properly ventilate your coop. Chickens get cold when there poor ventilation in the coop. All that moisture from the pooping and the breathing needs to do somewhere and if it has no place to go, it falls back down on the chickens as water or frost which can kill your birds. So 1 square foot per bird in your eaves or ceiling. Have them roost low to the floor in quiet air. Not in the rafters. You can also tack an old towel onto the roost bar to keep the feet warm. Warm feet are warmer birds.

As for the critter getting into your coop, make sure all holes are sealed, nothing can dig, scratch or break in. Seal it up like you were going to live in there and nothing should be able to get in.

Welcome to our flock!

Sorry for the losses. If you use chicken wire around the run - predators can tear through that like paper. It is very flimsy and sags, giving the bad guys every opportunity to get away with lunch. If possible replace any wire with 1/2"

hardware cloth. You may want to visit the predators forum to learn other ways to keep your birds safer. Welcome to the flock
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom