Introduction (better late than never!)!

Chickomami

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2021
Well I guess I was supposed to introduce myself on day 1, but oops!! Lol leave it to me to not read the instructions! And this is prob going to be long, I like to write novels I’m told. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I live in Oklahoma, and I think we have 32 chickens as of today! I used to have an NPIP Certified/AI Clean flock about 7 years ago or so, but I had to move out of my small acreage in OKC to town and had to get rid of them and my goats and horses. It was sad but I’m back!!

I got my chicks from an NPIP Certified/AI Clean flock to start back up with, and they’re all so awesome. I got a few new breeds that I’ve not raised before (my old favs are here too—Ameraucana, Buff Orpingtons & Black Australorps), and we are all really enjoying them.

We have some Buff Laced Polish, White Orpingtons, Crevecoeur (my new favorite I believe, see why below), Dark Brahmas, Golden Polish, and one that we thought was Ameraucana as a hatchling but she’s definitely not, not sure what she is but we will figure it out! We will also have some Anconas and Blue Cochins at the end of the month! Two other new breeds for us so im

So here is only one reason why the Creves are my fav now. We had a precious one named Lulu, who didn’t make it past 2 months due to a scissor beak (all my years with chickens and I have never seen that in my flock) but we have a replacement from the breeder—just a fluke bc none of the others have any issues whatsoever. She was tiny and May have had an injury we didn’t know about or maybe it was genetic (could be either) but as I said none of the other Crevecoeurs or any of the other breeds have it. I may post some of Lulu’s pics and videos at some point, but we are still sad—if anyone had ever told us we’d cry over a chicken I’m not quite sure we’d have believed them but both my fiancé and I cried!! He was so mad lol, he said, “You’re not allowed to ever have another chicken with a scissor beak again! You got me crying over a chicks !”

She was just special, she was part of the household, she hungout with us often, she got to come inside to eat by herself and drink water from the kitchen sink faucet…yet another thing my OCD ABOUT CLEAN crazy self wouldn’t have believed I’d have done before Lulu!! Our routine was like this: I would go out to the coop to take care of the chickens, and she’d come from wherever she was, cheeping super loudly (I’m sure I knew her voice, and that’s so weird to say!!) to come running out of the coop and follow me wherever I went! She knew her way into the house and had to fly/hop up some cement steps but she’d come in and eat from her favorite bowl and once she learned where the water was, she’d fly over to the sink and wait on me to turn on the water. If I disappeared for any reason she’d start cheeping super loudly and my fiancé would start yelling, “Your chicken is looking for you!” 😂 Oh—and she also cheeped at me like I was either her baby chick or she was mine…she was PRECIOUS.

I sure miss that sweet little bird. I know God sent her for a reason, not just to break our hearts. I think it was to let us know how we should love life and live each day with thankfulness no matter what was trying to hold us back. She lived like the happiest little sweet thing and she was severely handicapped BUT I’m not sure she even noticed!

My sweet tiny Lulu really was something else, she feared nothing, and in fact the other chicks were scared of her bc she was half their size but when they were in the brooder (when she first chose us lol) and I’d open the lid (before they all went outside to the coop) she would immediately leap up on to their backs (to use them as steps 🤣) )and fly to the edge of the plastic tote I used as a brooder and come out and walk around! She showed me that life is a joy every single day no matter what. Even though she had a SEVERE case of scissor beak. It’s why she passed away, I tried to feed her with a syringe but when I saw she had lost her zest for life (I think when she could no longer feed herself and drink well that was it) it broke my heart bc I knew she was going to die and just a couple of days later she did.

I’d checked on her in the night (my fiancé also insisted on buying her a special little coop, bc he worried as they got bigger she might get picked on so her and her buddy Punkin <Punk for short lol maybe I’ll tell some stories about her too!!> shared it) and she was cheeping like she always did but she was laying on Punkin and I didn’t want to bother her bc I knew she’d want to come with me. The next morning I didn’t hear her cheeping as I came up like she ALWAYS did and I knew she was gone. I found her laying in the coop like she just passed away in her sleep. We are burying her underneath a new rose bush we are planting, but we won’t ever forget that tiny bird. Guess I will attach a pic of Lulu.

I told y’all this was gonna be long! I doubt anyone is here and I can’t say I blame you lol, but HELLO EVERYONE! It’s great to be here.

Karen

Attachments

• 5F4659FE-25C4-405D-96DD-5D537F9CD323.jpeg
    5F4659FE-25C4-405D-96DD-5D537F9CD323.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom