Introduction problems

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mystus808, Mar 15, 2011.

1. mystus808

mystus808 Songster

Jan 15, 2011
    I have many problems with my chickens i have 2 EEs 3 production reds 1 EE rooster . I had the rooster and one EE with him then added the rest.

1. When he mounts as he is about to jump off the other EE that was with him or a PR has a need to copy him and bite that back of the neck of the bird that was mounted.

2. He cant seem to mount the PR they just run out from under him and escape. I tried hold the hen down and putting the rooster on top but that didnt work.

3. The dominance thing is getting a little too aggressive for me. There are 2 birds that they pick on the new EE and a PR. the new EE is smart and goes to the high ground but the PR keeps getting picked on wat should i do? or is this normal

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Unless it comes to drawing blood. I would let them work out the pecking order. [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:x2 They will mate with him when they are ready. I don't think you should help him with that.

4. mystus808

mystus808 Songster

Jan 15, 2011
    if it does come to blood should i take out the one that is bleeding or the one that i think made it bleed?

5. mystus808

mystus808 Songster

Jan 15, 2011
    Okay the blood has been seen [​IMG] . what should i take out? the one being picked on or the bully/ies

6. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Unfortunately, you will need to remove the one with the blood to protect her from further pecking, unless you can hide it with BluKote or pine tar. It is best to remove the bully for several days because they will have to reenter the flock at the bottom of the pecking order. At this point I would remove the one who was injured until she is healed, then remove the bully before or when returning the injured one to the flock.

7. mystus808

mystus808 Songster

Jan 15, 2011
    okay. thanks for the help.

8. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I have one hen being pecked on by all of them... How do you keep this from happening? There are two being pecked by the other 11.

9. mystus808

mystus808 Songster

Jan 15, 2011
    I have the same problem i took out one and now the other 4 are now picking on another one [​IMG] so i dont know wat to do

if that one hen is being pecked and starts to bleed, or any of the hens start to bleed take them out and separate them. Then your suppose to take the bully out and wait for a little and then reintroduce the bully so that it is at the bottom. but reintroduce the beaten up hen first after it healed. you just have to try and let them sort it out but if it comes to blood do as already said.

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    A few ideas...

1) Make sure your hens have enough space. 1 to 4 feet per hen in the coop.

2) If they are doing this in the run, provide something to keep them busy. You can tie a cabbage where it hangs slightly off the ground and they will go nuts trying to "catch" the cabbage. Throw grass clippings in the pen for them to pick through. Try free ranging them for a while everyday (if you don't already) Just be creative.

3) Make sure they are getting enough protein. Try feeding a higher protein feed or add some scrambled egg to their diet an see if that helps.

4) Always remove or treat any wounded chickens with blu kote (preferred).

5) Remove the bullies for a couple of days to disrupt the pecking order.

Sometimes you have to remove very aggressive birds from your flock.

Good luck. I hope you find a solution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: