Introduction: we got duckies!

annaraven

Born this way
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SillyCon Valley
Hi,
We got chickens this summer: Buffy, Willow, and Stella. My husband wanted duckies. So now we have three duckies: Sir Francis the Drake, and his common-law wives, Emma and Esther.

EDIT: Here's a photo

IMAG0442.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, that's funny that you named your duck "Sir Francis Drake". We have one by the same name at our lake. He got trapped in fishing line and it took a year to catch him and get the line off. But, his foot was damaged, though I think he did get a lot better.

Welcome to BYC, by the way.
smile.png

Last edited:
My husband named Sir Francis. I'm just hoping the 6 of them (3 chickens and 3 ducks) get along okay. I am very attached to my chickens and wouldn't want anything to happen to them! I also wouldn't want them to harrass the duckies.

For tonight, they're all in the chicken run together. I will probably keep the ducks there another day or two (while my chickies freerange) until they are familiar with "home" and "this is where the feed is". Then I can let them out to play in the kiddie pool.

At least, that's the theory. I have to admit I'm a little uneasy about the whole thing - I worry they won't get along, or that the ducks will be too much work or that someone (chickie or duckie) will get hurt or something. The ducks were raised along with chickens, geese, and other fowl, so they *should* get along okay, right?

The ducks were raised along with chickens, geese, and other fowl, so they *should* get along okay, right?

Annaraven,

First, thank you for posting the pictures of your lovely ducks.
Okay, I have no ducks, but I am gonna say "yes" to getting along if they were raised with other fowl.
And, this might sound a little silly, but if I were you, I would act as if there were no problem at all.
You "know" already they will get along.
My mind over matter theory.
gig.gif

I hope to have many ducks one day, I like the name Sir Francis Drake.
My idea is to go with Shakespearean characters.
I will be the crazy duck lady, but i will be the literate crazy duck lady.
A distinction.
lau.gif

Beth​

I hope to have many ducks one day, I like the name Sir Francis Drake.
My idea is to go with Shakespearean characters.
I will be the crazy duck lady, but i will be the literate crazy duck lady.
A distinction.
lau.gif

Beth

That would be infinitely better than mine whom are all named after video game characters
idunno.gif

Your duckies are beautiful Annaraven! Thanks for the pics!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom