Introduction worth it?

DoeAndGander

Songster
5 Years
May 24, 2017
Southern Minnesota
I have a total of 10 keets that are 10 weeks old. I separated 1 - three weeks ago due to fighting... without realizing I should have fixed his wounds and put him back within the flock. I believe he is a male. I know the best way to introduce is within a separate cage but Do you think this is the route to go? Or should I sell him? I’m surprised how mean these guys are.

Being they are so young and from same hatch, I’m hoping to have a better chance of them accepting of him.

Introduce the guinea back at night after they are all asleep and they won't notice that a new guinea is there.
That is a really bad idea and a good way to get the new guinea killed by the rest of the flock.

When I introduce new guineas to the flock, I separate them with poultry fence and allow them to get familiar with each other without being able to actually hurt each other. Once the attacks through the fence have stopped I allow the new guinea/s in with the rest of the flock. Releasing them before the attacks stop is a really bad idea.

Thanks! I currently have him in a dog crate. Is that ok or would you recommend something with smaller mesh/holes protecting him?

That is a really bad idea and a good way to get the new guinea killed by the rest of the flock.

When I introduce new guineas to the flock, I separate them with poultry fence and allow them to get familiar with each other without being able to actually hurt each other. Once the attacks through the fence have stopped I allow the new guinea/s in with the rest of the flock. Releasing them before the attacks stop is a really bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom