Introduction

CoachSully44

In the Brooder
New member here. I live on 10 acres that I have been managing (as best as one can manage a small parcel) for wildlife (and Labradors) for years. I finally decided to turn my attention to the domestic side and am starting a flock this spring. I know a rooster is not necessary for egg production, but I like the idea of a "flock protector" so I'd like to get one. I only want one, however, and the only means I have of acquiring a rooster is through a straight run purchase. I don't want to end up with multiple cockerels and have to cull for no reason. How does one go about acquiring a single rooster?

Last edited:
Wow ten acres must be lovely.
Welcome to BYC! There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do. There’s always folks looking to rehome roosters (me included but unfortunately I’m in UK!). I’m a member of a cockerel rehome group on Facebook. Maybe there’s one in your state?

Wow ten acres must be lovely.
Welcome to BYC! There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do. There’s always folks looking to rehome roosters (me included but unfortunately I’m in UK!). I’m a member of a cockerel rehome group on Facebook. Maybe there’s one in your state?
Thank you so much. I will definitely check out FB.

Welcome Sully. Cockerels are a dime a dozen. Get your pullets (female chicken from hatch date to her first birthday) and get them raised up well, preferably to the point of lay before you even consider getting a cockerel (male chicken less than a year old) or a rooster (over a year old).

In order to safely house a roo, you will need EVEN MORE SPACE than the generally recommended 4 s.f./chicken in your coop and 10 s.f./chicken in your run. Be aware that a roo will not so much protect your flock as he will sound the alarm system.

A good roo: keeps his eye out for predators so his ladies can eat in peace. He also dances for his ladies, finds and shares treats, accompanies them to/from the nest, even finds new and novel nesting spaces for them! He takes no for an answer, does not attempt to breed a pullet or hen who is not laying and not receptive. He takes good care of his babies. Most of all, he is not chicken or people aggressive.

The biggest issue of adding a cockerel or roo at a later date is the biosecurity risk. You always run the risk of bringing a "forever" disease into your flock any time you add an older bird.

That being said, the best option for flock harmony would be to add a mature roo to your flock of laying pullets. The good roo would be a proven breeder, one who has a track record of being gentle with his ladies and not people aggressive.

The next option would be to start your flock this season with chicks, then add a few more chicks in the spring, including a cockerel chick. He would grow up in your flock, and be schooled in proper dating etiquette by your hens.

Many of us keep a multi age flock: remove some older birds each year, add some chicks each year. That way you don't end up with a hen house full of old biddies who are no longer paying the rent (with eggs).

Welcome to Backyard Chickens buying straight run say you get 15, 12 can be cockerel but it is a beginning either you have three pullets and one cockerel the others are dinner lunch and breakfast and you buy sex-links from a breeder close what state are you in it helps in pointing you to a state thread or there are hatchery that sex chicks

G'Day from down under Coach.... :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock and/or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

This is link to Find Your State Thread Diva mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom