Introduction

Deleur2

Chirping
May 21, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hello! Glad to be here. Very new to chickens, less than a week ago we got 9 week old chickens. 2 New Hampshire Reds, 1 barred rock and 1 Wyandotte (?). They're only for laying. We've chosen names for them - the Wyandotte is Kerrie, the barred rock is Nelly and the other 2 are Laura and Mary. Yes... they're all Little House on the Praire names. Nelly was first and gave me the idea because she was pecking all the others rear ends and seemed like a bully. Not to mention we're fans of the show. So we've had them a few days and I have been trying to become friendly with them little by little. Today I picked up Nelly and then Laura. Laura seems to have dandruff which I believe may be mites??? We've given them a dirt bath in the enclosure but they don't go in it. I've thrown goodies into it and they'll stand in it, but not dust themselves. Any ideas how to help Laura with her problem? Maybe it isn't a problem and just how it is but it seems sort of bad and if she has them the others probably do as well. ☹️ We've planted herbs around the pen for some healthy snacking and maybe that'll help but I don't like to think she's uncomfortable. I'm possibly overly concerned with insects and parasites and such. Like to the point of maybe putting a sink outside to wash after being around them. Is that crazy?? I'm going to look around the other posts for more information... I've already got so much. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom