Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Deleur2, May 21, 2019.

1. Deleur2

Deleur2 In the Brooder

May 21, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Hello! Glad to be here. Very new to chickens, less than a week ago we got 9 week old chickens. 2 New Hampshire Reds, 1 barred rock and 1 Wyandotte (?). They're only for laying. We've chosen names for them - the Wyandotte is Kerrie, the barred rock is Nelly and the other 2 are Laura and Mary. Yes... they're all Little House on the Praire names. Nelly was first and gave me the idea because she was pecking all the others rear ends and seemed like a bully. Not to mention we're fans of the show. So we've had them a few days and I have been trying to become friendly with them little by little. Today I picked up Nelly and then Laura. Laura seems to have dandruff which I believe may be mites??? We've given them a dirt bath in the enclosure but they don't go in it. I've thrown goodies into it and they'll stand in it, but not dust themselves. Any ideas how to help Laura with her problem? Maybe it isn't a problem and just how it is but it seems sort of bad and if she has them the others probably do as well. ☹️ We've planted herbs around the pen for some healthy snacking and maybe that'll help but I don't like to think she's uncomfortable. I'm possibly overly concerned with insects and parasites and such. Like to the point of maybe putting a sink outside to wash after being around them. Is that crazy?? I'm going to look around the other posts for more information... I've already got so much. Thanks!

2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  3. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
  4. Deleur2

Deleur2 In the Brooder

May 21, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks! What Laura has isn't any of those creepy bugs. Her's looks like dandruff. A lot of dandruff. I could almost blow it off. Reminded me of the sort of mites my plants get, that's why I thought of them.

5. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us and I hope you'll enjoy this site as much as we all do!

6. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Can you post pictures?

7. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens lot's to learn always a great friendly place to do it in enjoy the time here

8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with your chick's! A close up picture of the area on Laura that has the dandruff looking stuff that you are talking about would help. That way we can see better what she might have.

9. Deleur2

Deleur2 In the Brooder

May 21, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I'll get (try) one tomorrow with my husbands help - thanks so much.

10. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: