Introduction

Gary Kenyon

Chirping
Aug 21, 2019
Eastern Tennessee
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
A) I have had chickens for about 5 years. I started with 11 Rhode Island Reds (1 roo and 10 hens)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
A) Right now I have 70 chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
A) 47 Golden sex links that my kids got for 4H. 18 Australorps, 2 Saphire Gems, 3 Rhode Island Reds, and a duck, just because he is cool.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
A) I like going out in the morning and feeding them scraps and watching them play keep away. I also like watching them roam around the farm collecting all the bugs. And, of course, I love eating the eggs!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
A) Metal fabrication is a big one. I like building anything from automotive stuff to structures. I also enjoy raising my goats that hang out in the field with my chickens.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
A) We are a family of 5, but my oldest son has joined the military and moved out. My two youngest are 13 and 15 and both enjoy farm life. We have 70 chickens, 5 goats, 3 dogs, 1 cat and 1 duck. We intend to add a goose and a couple of pigs in the not to distant future. I have been retired for just over a year, which is when I teamed up with my cousin and we bought 83 acres together in Tennessee and got started on this farm thing.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

A) My cousin has mentioned BYC in the past, and I figured it was about time I joined. She has had good things to say about the group and has learned a lot from talking g to people here.

FARMER CON BALLONS COPY.gif FarmerConnieWel878867byc.gif FARMER CON BALLONS COPY.gif
31al.gif

Hello, and Welcome from Southeast Missouri!
Eastern Tennessee--are you in the Mountains? It is so beautiful in the Smokies there, but also rugged in parts. Hopefully you won't have too many emergencies since you have had chickens for a good while, but it is always interesting to follow the "Help Me!" threads, to learn how to manage emergencies. Glad you could join us.

Back
Top Bottom