Introduction

Jun 8, 2020
Tillsonburg, Ont, Canada
Hi I am new here. I have had laying hens for about 1 year now. I have 16 currently laying, 6 close to start and 2 roasters. I have 2 silkie hens and Ben the roaster. Also have 3 barred rock , 6 really big hens these are the soon to start laying and 9 brown hens no idea on breed. And my roaster Fred. One silkie is broody and I have separated her and her 3 eggs into a new coop I just finished building and she is content. I also had 14 eggs in incubator 9 of which are silkie, 1 barred rock and the others not sure. One egg I removed on day 10 as no sign of life....today is day 21 hatch day. Did water test and 11 eggs sank and 2 floated about 15 percent out of the water. I researched and it said if eggs sink they are dead upon taking shell off to see roughly when it died I found a living chick ( sadly it died now) what did I do wrong?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
You're the second new member to post within 24 hours that did the float test and opened up a supposedly dead egg to find a live chick. For me at any rate, don't believe that float test! Just give them a bit more time before giving up and opening an egg. Did you calibrate your incubator before beginning?

Back
Top Bottom