Introduction

Abi07

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes! I am new to raising chickens. I got my first chickens and turkeys about 5 months ago!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have 47 hens, 3 roosters, and 7 turkeys

(3) What breeds do you have?

Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Cuckoo Maran, Rhode Island Red, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and Broad Breasted Bronze turkey

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Getting familiar with each chicken's habits and learning their individual personalities. Before having chickens, I never knew that they were so fun and sweet. I have also loved watching them grow from day old chicks and poults into full-grown laying hens, crowing roosters, and gobbling turkeys! I am always so excited to go out and collect the eggs, it is always so exciting to see how many they lay each day.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love to read, I have been reading a bunch of books throughout this quarantine spring and summer. I love playing music, painting, and exploring the outdoors through hiking!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

During this Covid-19 quarantine I moved back to my dad's farm after my university cancelled school in the spring. Since then, it has been the two of us taking care of the birds and our new yellow labrador puppy, Annie. We keep busy with taking care of the animals and other chores around the farm. I am currently a student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln studying fisheries and wildlife biology with plans to go to veterinary school. I head back to school in a couple days and I am already sad about having to leave the birds and puppy behind.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

BYC has been sooooo helpful in learning the nuances of raising chickens. I initially found this community after googling different questions about my chickens and their behaviors. This website has come in handy for so many things and has been a great way to help me learn the ins and outs of chickens and turkeys. I have used this site for everything from "What is pasty butt?" to "What are the best treats for chickens?" I finally joined the community because it has been so helpful and I loved the way people can interact and share their experiences with chickens and turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom