Introduction

13downto12

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2022
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Very new to chickens, which I acquired entirely by accident only a few months ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I currently have 12 chickens, one is a rooster, one an adult hen, and the rest adolescents.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Mixed/ unsure.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Seeing them grow and develop their unique personalities.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Other animals, organic farming, art, music, literature, etc.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Many other animals, and a lovely garden going on currently.

Welcome to BYC!
What happened to #13?
Thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately, today I found #13 headless in the middle of my run at around 2 p.m. There was no blood at all, no feathers, no other injuries, and no signs of attack. The run is made of 1/4" hardware cloth all the way round and fully enclosed on all 6 sides. Nothing left open, no gaps or holes at all, and the body was in the center of the run, so I have no clue what could have attacked in the middle of the day.

I actually found this site trying to figure out what happened and how to protect the remaining 12, and you've all been very helpful already!

Predation losses are always so wretched! Hope you figure out what it was and how to prevent any more kills.

I have "accidentally" come home with an extra chick -- or two or three; maybe a couple of goslings -- but never an entire accidental flock. I bet there's a bit of a story there!

Welcome to BYC; hope you are able to get all the answers and support you want and need from this community. Best wishes with your flock and your garden!

Back
Top Bottom