1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introductions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AmyLashley13, Jun 8, 2016.

1. AmyLashley13

AmyLashley13 New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Hello, I am new to raising chickens. I am becoming an avid fan. I started a few months ago by hatching 1 out of 7 eggs in my kindergarten classroom. My students named it Pip and I became attached to it (him-I think Pip is a rooster.) After that, I bought 4 light brahma pullets from a friend and hatched 2 more eggs. And talked my husband into building me a coop and a run. I am sure that I will have many questions. My 1st being how to tell if my 2 week old chicks will be hens or roosters.
    Thank you in advance for all of the help.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Amy. You'll probably need to wait longer (more like another month) to discover what you have? You can then post photos at "what breed or gender is this.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community! You have definitely come to the right place for all the fun and learning.

When they grow up a bit more, you can as Drumstick Diva has mentioned, post some pics in our What Breed and Gender section for help with the sexes... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

With many breeds, the cockerels will be slower to feather and retain their fuzz a lot longer that pullets. And many times by the age of 1 or 2 months, a cockeral's comb will be large and red, where as the pullets combs will still stay small and pale until closer to laying age.

Also, stop by our learning center too. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry... https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new adventure you are on! Make yourself at home were and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. LaurelTree

LaurelTree Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2016
    Central Florida
    Welcome to BYC! And good luck getting everything going!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

7. boutabrood

boutabrood New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Hi. I'm new to this. I have an Ancona female and she laid 16 eggs and sat on them diligently and they all went rotten. I had to finally remove the last two because of the odor. Now she won't give me any eggs. Is there something wrong? I thought they new if their eggs were fertile.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Broodies don't always know if eggs are fertile or not. Especially if they are new at being broody, or they are just so broody they set on them anyway.

It takes a broody a while to start back up with laying. Her laying hormones have turned off in preparation for possible chick raising. So once she regains her strength and weight that she may have lost while brooding, she will get back to laying...a few weeks or so.

Enjoy your flock! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by