Introductions

cgtara3

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Traverse City, MI
We lost 7 of 8 birds this spring to coyotes. Since we had one bird Sweet Pea left to herself, we decided to get three pullets for companions for her. We went to get the birds, and noticed that one didn't want to go with us, as she kept popping her head out of the box and making little growls noises (It was funny). We finally get the birds home, and we put them in the coop with Sweet Pea..who was not too thrilled with the invaders into her house. So, we go to check on the new birds that evening, and found that all three hopped up into one of the highest laying boxes and were hiding in there together. Then, the same bird with the growl decided that she was going to be queen of the coop, and kept going to the perch where Sweet Pea was to sit by her and knock her off the perch! Sweet Pea kept giving her an old fashioned pecking on the head. We took her (Ms. Growler) off the perch each time to get away from Sweet Pea, and she kept running back, jumping on the perch and attempting to push Sweet Pea off again! It was hilarious! Finally she gave up and sat on the bar of the laying box. We decided that an appropriate name for the new bird is Pugnacious, or Puggy for short--with the definition being "1. Eager or quick to argue, quarrel, or fight. 2. Having the appearance of a willing fighter."
gig.gif

Those sorting out the pecking order ordeals can be interesting....

Good luck!

And keep the coyotes away.

Yes! I agree. I wished we had a camera when this was going on. A similar thing happened with our alpha bird and the rooster--when we had a rooster. The alpha bird engaged in a head to head old fashioned cock fight with the rooster that lasted a couple of seconds because he walked away--but she still stood there frozen in position with her feathers on her head standing upright in an enraged appearance. It was hilarious as well. I learned that whenever there are new bird introductions, have a video cam ready if possible. You may be getting some memorable shots to laugh about later on. You never know what to expect from chickens!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom