Iowa Blue rooster temperment?

Mixed chicks

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
I'm still wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with Iowa Blue roosters? I would like to know if they are friendly, passive or aggressive? Fliers or well adapted to confinement? Anybody?

I just did a google search on Iowa Blues...found pictures but no information.

They are gorgeous but I'd never heard of them before.

Hopefully, someone here will be able to help you out, eventually.

Dawn

Well, when I get my boy, I will have to write up what kind of fellow he is. Hopefully he will be a worth representative of his breed. Thanks

There's little information to be found, because their distinction as a legitimate breed is dubious at best. They have a very obscure past, with possibly a few extremely localized farmers working on a similar looking chicken. One guy comes along and collects a bunch of birds which look like what he thinks is something called an Iowa Blue, proclaims the new breed, and presto, because it's "rare", he makes a killing selling them to everyone who falls for the story. It would be nice to see one that is a good representative of "the breed", but no can can say exactly what that is.

Check out the Sand Hill Preservation Center's website. Glenn Drowns raises and preserves rare and endangered poultry and heirloom seed varieties. It is www.sandhillpreservation.com. They also have a print catalog that I've found to be very informative but I believe they are out for 2008. He raises the Iowa Blues.

I have a Iowa Blue and he is a great chicken. He is extremely protective of his hens. He always makes sure they eat before him and keeps them all together. He is good with people to a certain extent. He will not attack you but hard to catch but once you catch him you can hold him no problem. I have 2 small dogs and his doesn't pay no attention to them even if my dogs harass him a bit. He doesn't do anything to my daughter and isn't angressive towards people at all. However you cannot bring new roosters around him he will attack and kill them he will not lose extremely tough and mean to other roosters that's why he protects his flock from all predators and will die trying. Now you may be able to get 2 of them and raise them from babies and be ok but haven't done that so don't know for sure. I will never have any other rooster the best there is.

There's little information to be found, because their distinction as a legitimate breed is dubious at best. They have a very obscure past, with possibly a few extremely localized farmers working on a similar looking chicken. One guy comes along and collects a bunch of birds which look like what he thinks is something called an Iowa Blue, proclaims the new breed, and presto, because it's "rare", he makes a killing selling them to everyone who falls for the story. It would be nice to see one that is a good representative of "the breed", but no can can say exactly what that is.

I would encourage anyone intersted in the breed to check out our website www.iowabluechickenclub.com. This breed has had its up and down rollercoaster ride, that's for sure. Not only have they evaded extinction multiple times but add to that a couple of controversies (namely, some people claiming that Glenn Drowns (who had the last remaining flock in the nation) had "created" the breed as box fillers to Ideal selling a bird that was birchen instead of silver penciled) and things got real crazy for the breed. I've been doing a lot of work locating individuals familiar with the breed from the 1920's - the present. I've had the opportunity to interview two of John Logston's (the gentleman who created the breed in the 1920's) grandchildren as well as those individuals responsible with the 80's rescue of the breed. I now feel very confident that anyone reading through the breed club's historical archives section will have many of their questions answered. We have pictures of the original birds as well as pictures of the breed today. I have documented the ownership transfer from John Logston's flock to the remaining flocks we have today. I think all will be pleased with what has been accomplished in revealing the true Iowa Blue, and hopefully we can prevent future "profiteers" from gathering a hodgepodge of birds and selling them off as Iowa Blues. We have a great group of breeders who are very dedicated to the promotion and preservation of this remarkable breed! We are currently in the process of getting the Iowa Blue admitted into the SOP. We're a few years off, but it's a long process.
Hope this has been of some help!

Best,
Curt

P.S. My avatar pic is an example of the original Iowa Blue from Ransome Bolson's line.

Well said Curt.

I will add that I dont know of anyone making a killing selling their stock, or who has. The folks that I know having stock to share are very upfront and good to deal with. No profiteers around that I am aware of.

What we have now is a rare, almost extinct breed that has a real provenence, and a real future. As well as a documented past.

Check out the ongoing thread here.

Back
Top Bottom